Friday, February 12, 2016

UNITY part 2

Q&A for Kelli
What do you miss most about home?
I miss brushing my teeth in the sink while not worrying about the water. And I especially miss my kids and grand kids.  


Did you have any expectations about the trip?
I expected to see dense jungles & snakes! But....through our devotions, I have found the strength to give my fears and worries to God and knew it’d be okay. I worried about packing, going through TSA, the flight.....but I just placed my trust in Him and knew it's in God’s hands.
(A long way up hill)
Who invited you to the Guatemala meeting?
Kevin Koppendryer invited me to the meeting in early fall.

Craziest thing you’ve seen here?
The driving!!! The way these people live out in the communities… it’s so different than our lifestyles back home.  

Has there been a moment that has taken your breath away?
The children here, the love & kindness of the communities. They have shown us each and every day. They are so giving… they were always trying to share with us and express how much they appreciated us and our help. They made us meals. For example, they gave us gifts like necklaces, hand carved wooden horses, hand stitched dolls and pens. It's not like they went out and bought the necklaces...they hand made them from the seeds they grew.  Seeing the active volcano was also an awesome sight too! 

Any fun experiences on this trip?
Going to the hot springs was fun. I have never seen anything like that before.

Do you see any similarities with these communities and back home?  
The closeness. Everyone is always coming together when there is a need. If there is a need, there is an outpouring of support and love- just like back home. They take such pride in their community and where they have come from.  
- Kelli

Q&A for Julie 
  Did you have any expectations before the trip?
                I have never been to a place like Guatemala so just going off of the past teams’ experiences, I expected to see poverty. I expected to see beautiful kids that deserve so much more. And I expected to see hard working families living on their faith. I saw all of these things! What I did not expect to see was the amount of work these men, women, and children need to put into just simply getting by and surviving another day.
               
Has anyone influenced you here?
                This entire team of people has been so dynamic and has grown together so much since the first meeting we had back in November. Since being here the team has done devotions each morning and evening. I think I have been influenced by each person just by getting to know them more and going through this experience together. Even though each day we were in the same community, we were often doing different tasks and were split up. It was fun to get back together in the evenings and really take the time to hear about how God worked in each of us that day. Being surrounded and supported by strong Christians really helped me process this experience.
(Julie & our new best friend, Luisa - Translator)
How has God spoke to you this week? What is he saying?
                Our devotion yesterday was about having peace. When I reflected on that… I decided I was at peace with my experience here. I felt like I really participated. I felt like I gave it my all with the kiddos- playing with them and making them feel special. I felt like I made great relationships with everyone on the team. But then at the same time... I feel uneasy. I feel like God has spoken to me and shown me certain things on this trip that I need to process and I really need to figure out how I can go back to “normal” life with a changed heart.  The fact that I don’t quite understand what exactly he is saying yet is what makes me feel uneasy. But I know that he is working in me to help me discover what changes I need to make and He will continue doing so until I make sense of this incredible experience. 
- Julie 


Unity - being one in heart and purpose

Colossians 3:14 - And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

(Davidsky at the far right - World Renew Bridger)
After two days of being visiting another communities, the team went today to Esperanza Miralta which is the place where the classroom is being built. During the morning, the teachers of the School presented several activities to celebrate the new facility at their school, and after a delicious lunch - prepared with local ingredients – it came the time to work in the project.
The team members split in groups to do three different activities: helping in the construction itself, carrying water, and prayer visits. The people who helped in the construction were sifting sand or compacting the terrain for the classroom floor (a really heavy task); the ones that were bringing the water for the construction had to go far from the school and carry the water containers with a plastic strap hanging the from their fronts (a mecapal); and, the people who went to the prayer visits took their walking sticks and they had to walk in really twisted and narrow roads. I had the opportunity to see all of them because I went for a round to take pictures of every group. Having the chance to see all the groups in different places and performing different tasks, but working for the same purpose, helped me to understand that we do not have to be all in the same place in order to have unity if we are united by a common mission.
The groups worked hard and experienced the heavy tasks which are part of the daily lives of the people in the community. The water carriers and the ones who were in the construction went back to a classroom for having a break. However, the group who went for prayer visits were still walking to come back. I call to one of the team members but the phone call was rejected. I tried a couple of times more, without answer. Worried a little bit more, I called the officer who accompany them. He answer and told me that they were on their way back to the school. They finally came and reunited with the team with joy and telling each other what was their experience about.
In that moment, when they were exchanging experiences, I remembered the time when the seventy-two disciples returned with joy to Jesus and told him what they experienced in their trip (Luke 10:17). The Disciples of Christ went to different places, but with the same mission given by Jesus.
When God is leading us, we can be united by his Holy Spirit, even when we are in different places.

Davinsky de LeĆ³n



No comments:

Post a Comment