Thursday, February 7, 2013

El Tineco

Yesterday we spent the morning in El Tineco. We were the first group of white people who have ever visited the school there. The teachers were so grateful for what we brought and that we cared about their students when no one else ever had.

After their wonderful program we broke into our 3 work groups. Those who were working on water filters stayed in El Tineco and worked at Gustavo's house. Gustavo is part of Free a Family and Tom and Kris sponsor him so Kris was very excited to spend the morning with him and work at his house. The other 2 groups built a fence around a church and continued to work on the road.

After working, we all me for a farm tour. We walked around Edon's farm and saw all his fruit trees and coffee plants. After that we enjoyed lunch before heading to La Palmera for our last day of VBS with those kiddos. Let me tell you, it was hard to leave them!

On our way home we stopped at the church in Monte Margarita to officially present them with the chairs that they purchased with money we sent.

I was asked to give a little more explanation on the desks in La Palmera. A few weeks before we left, we sent money to Moises to divide amongst the schools. In La Palmera they decided to use their money to buy new desks. They had them for a few days before we came but kept them in a different location so that the students wouldn't use them until we were there to present them. They had stenciled Pease on each one and that was very touching for us. Moises told them to be very careful with them and not to write on them because we'll be back to check on them next year.

Please pray for the health of our team. Quite a few of us have not been feeling well the last day or two. The food we are eating in the villages is hard for our stomachs to handle.

We're off to Esperanza Miralta in a few minutes. Here are some photos from yesterday.











10 comments:

  1. I hope you all feel better! We lifted you up as a prayer request this morning. My students love that "Pease" is stenciled on the back of the desks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I to am praying for your health and strength! Great work all of you! Any concerns from the villages,people or any of you that we can pray for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to ask this and have been wondering... Who interprets for you when you are separated into your different work groups?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello to all! This blog is great and I wish I would have known about it earlier! I am now all caught up and eager to hear more. I am impressed by the work being done and the efforts it must have taken to coordinate all of this. What an amazing experience this is! I have share a story about my almost 3-year old son, Caden. So, last Saturday my mom was coming over to watch him and he asked Jeremiah why Grandpa wasn't coming with Grandma. Jeremiah told him that Grandpa and Uncle Daren were in Guatemala, a place far away. He asked why they were there and Jeremiah tried explaining this trip to him. When Grandma arrived that afternoon, Caden told her what he remembered and then again at daycare the next morning, he told his friend Amber this: "My Grandpa and Uncle Daren are in Guatemala. They are teaching people how to farm and how to love God. They don't know how and should love God."

    Love to all and keep up the great work! You are in our prayers and we hope you all feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about the not feeling well. Praying for your safety and health. Also praying for these children and for the lives that are being touched with the love of Christ. Keep up the good work as you close out your time there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Love to hate this blog, I cannot sleep at night, Just keep picturing the faces and places that you are at. I love it and miss it. I will keep praying for you that our friends in Guatemala. Pastor Dave and Marion were here, Their prays are with you all also.
    PS; Kris, I ran out of cookies! Now I will have to eat eggs for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also forgot to ask, I see Patty has officially joined your team, as she is wearing our colors. Does that mean she will be traveling to Minnesota soon???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for health and hope you have the Pepto Bismol tablets along! The children's faces are so precious and never change, filled with hope, love and desire to have their picture taken!
    I notice that you don't have to wear the long skirts Terri and I had to wear on our other trips. Hope to hear that your stomach's settle down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh those faces! While rocking Ali for a long time tonight (her fever is back) I prayed for all of those precious children and that they would know God's love. Thank you for all you have been doing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That darling little boy playing in the dirt has stolen my heart tonight!

    ReplyDelete