Saturday, February 23, 2013

Julee's Musings

I know I’ve said this every time I’ve returned home from Guatemala…but this was the best trip ever! This trip was very different than any of my other trips because on this trip I was able to build friendships that will last for eternity! We were able to be with many of the same people each day and that allowed us to get to know each other better.

I worked on the water filtration systems each day so spent a lot of time with Carlos, David, Hector and Vidal who were the people who were trained and/or learning how to make the filters. I had actually met all of these men last year but only briefly compared to this year. It was a privilege to work along side of them even though we could tell that this was not typical “women’s” work in their eyes! They patiently taught us what to do and let us “try” each step of making a filter. We knew it would have taken them much less time had they been able to just do it themselves!

The afternoons were spent getting to know the children and some of the adults as well. I was a part of the music station. They enjoyed songs with actions, learning a few words in English and listening to us try to sing Spanish! They LOVED the rhythm sticks that the kids club made! One of the highlights of the singing station was the day a downs syndrome boy joined us. I found it very interesting and wonderful that some of the other boys in the circle made sure I knew that he belonged in our group so I went to get him to join us. He sat on the outside of the circle and used the rhythm sticks to bang on an empty plastic bottle like a drum. He stayed with our group for 3 stations rather than rotating to other activities and enjoyed every minute of it! Another highlight was Carlos and Vidal and a teacher named Sara joining us! Vidal and Sara were very interested in learning English words and Carlos…he just wanted to have fun! He was quite the man and I think our whole group will always remember him! The first time we saw him we really didn’t know what to think. He was a bigger man (in comparison to the other Guatemalan men) and had a beard and mustache and ALWAYS had a machete on his side or in his hand!! That really looked strange as he stood in the circle of children on the school yard singing songs! I had met Sara last year as well. She speaks a few words of English and came up to me and handed me her almost 1 year boy named Alexander! I have cherished the pictures over this year and enjoyed giving him that picture this year! And taking many more of me holding him, him hugging me and giving me kisses on the cheek! I will be sure to take him those next year! I also presented him with one of the trucks that Lester Ruis sent to my house to take with! Jackee once said to me, I can’t believe Sara just gives her child to you and walks away! Sara had tears on the last day we were with her. She told me it was very hard to say good-bye. I am already looking forward to seeing her and Alexander again next year!

One other experience that I’d like to share which was actually very difficult for me. You might remember when I came back last year that I told you about a woman at the Monte Margarita church that asked me to please come back. I told her I would for sure be back and she said that she was old and in case she wasn’t there when I returned that she would see me in Heaven. I took her picture with me as well and when showing it to the pastor and his wife I was told she had passed away just 2 weeks before I got there. It was so hard for me to hear, but I was able to share with them that she was with my mother and mother in law in Heaven. They comforted me in my loss and told me that God would heal my sadness in time. Someone had run to the home of this woman during this and brought back her granddaughter to see me. I was able to leave her grandmother’s picture with her (as well as one of my mom). Jackee later reminded me that this was most likely the only picture of this woman that they had and what a precious gift I was able to share with them. I am so very confident that someday when I get to Heaven this woman will be there to welcome me. Even though our lives are very different from the people in these villages, we serve and love the same God…which makes us brothers and sisters.

I could go on and on so better stop here! I would love to share other stories with anyone who wants to listen so please ask! Thank you all for the support you have shown through this year. The people in Guatemala knew that we were supported by our families and church family at home and asked us numerous times to thank you from them. So….Gracious!

No comments:

Post a Comment